009 - Licensed To Thrill.

Well, the talented Steve Hornsey has done it yet again, wih the completion of the first of three layouts currently uner commission by the Dark Tower.

As I think I mentioned (I did, I did) previously, I am making a move over to the depiction of narrow gauge railways, with two 009 layouts at 6x1 feet in area. It doesn't sound much, but you can fit a LOT in that space.

Today Steve sent me pictures of the first of these to be completed, depicting an industrial line within a factory, where the rails are set into the cobbles.

As always, it's fully automated and I understand that it's been quite a challenge, but one which it would seem Steve has risen to, with his normal aplomb and elan.

My first job will be to add the low relief walls of the factory, probably using Skytrex resin castings, before starting to add 3 dimensional structures and features around the track plan, to give the whole a sense of purpose and function. I had initially thought of depicting a brewery or distillery, but I am more an more drawn to depicting a large Northern pickling business, some time in the 1920s to 1930.

We shall see...

Anyway, here are a few pics:







Next on the table is the layout depicting a line on a country estate, some time in the 1920s, and I am really looking forward to seeing what Steve does with that.

The third layout is something of a departure for me. It's still going to be narrow gauge in theme, but Steve is building that one in On30 scale which is based on 7mm to the foot. I want to play about with some fine scale modelling at a larger scale than normal, and the locos and buildings available in On30 are staggering. It's the scale you see used for trains that are placed around Christmas trees in the U.S, so you can imagine the wonderful options open to me. In fact it is to be set in the U.S North East some time in the first half of the 20th century, so there's a plethora of diorama opportunities available.

I can hardly wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...