Catching The Vibes - A Holistic Approach To Vintage Gaming

It's no secret that I am a bit unconventional in the way that I create my personal universe and how that in turn infiltrates and indeed infuses my gaming.

I surround myself with a lot of 80s cultural stuff, such as an immense collection of 80s comedies and sci fi movies, music, books, advertising and sometimes, as today, a bit of 80s technology.

For the most part it never gets used, but lurks on a shelf in my studio and will be looked at and the spirit of  80s coaxed from it in an almost occult and ritualistic manner.

Today I was browsing in a charity shop for the usual 'scoops' of games and books, when I walked past a stock room, the door of which was open. Well, what caught my eye was a genuine 1979 Sinclair Microvision 1 3/4 inch screen portable T.V. I asked if it was for sale and was told 'Yes, but it's not been tested.' to which I responded that it was fine, I'd take the risk. The lady then passed me another box containing the Sinclair adapter- again untested.

I was asked if £4.00 was OK and agreed that yes it was in deed, very much so in fact.

This is an iconic bit of tech which was one of those Sinclair products that ate away at the company finances, but which was a great bit of kit and very, very functional.

See:





It's also the kind of  thing that I remember as 'cutting edge' and very much 'of the future/of the age' and by extension the very kind of thing from which I draw 'vibes' or 'juice' and which in turn is transmuted into enthusiasm for my old school gaming which has I confess been a bit stymied of late as my own energies have waned and fatigue levels increased for reasons unknown.

Oddly, I also today found the Lancer Miniatures Lizardman range. Remember that I get empathic 'sugar rushes' and genuinely believe that if I pay my respects to to history, history will respond in a like manner and show me the right path.

Whilst they are contemporary models, the Lancer range truly channel 'old school' and tick every box for me:


1. They are classic looking Lizardmen
2. they have integral metal bases
3. They have enough variety without too much of same.
4. Priced sensibly as low as £1 per figure when you buy units of 20, two hundred pounds will get you 4000 points without upgrades or characters under 1st or 2nd ed Warhammer.








You can buy them here:

http://lancerminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110

Anyway, I hope you found this instalment's ramblings interesting, and perhaps you'll try a similar experiment. Another great experiment is eat the food that the historical armies you are researching would. When I was reading a lot about the war in Afghanistan, I often ate the same breakfast commonly taken by the Mujahideen. I found it really focussed me.

TTFN

Comments

  1. Lancer has some great materials, I`m currently backing their Kickstarter for 10mm ECW as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a moment, I misread the line about food that matches research and thought it read 'food from the eighties'. I have a strange desire for Findus Crispy pancakes and baked bean toasted sandwiches.

    I've often thought fondly of my Spectrum 48k, but I fear if I bought one my new experiences with it would tarnish my memories.

    What do Mujahideen eat for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, Crispy Pancakes are a serious 'vibe food' for reading Fighting Fantasy books with.

    And as to your question: naan, tomatoes, onions, yoghurt and black tea was the most common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a delicious breakfast...

      About two years ago, the author (one of two I think) of Sword of the Samurai came to the school I teach at to take part in a meet the author day. I think I spent the lunch we shared geeking out about th Fighting Fantasy books - poor bloke.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave your praise and vitriolic commentary here...

Popular posts from this blog

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...