Old School In The New Style...

I think that I finally have my mojo back...

As you'll have read previously, I had, thanks to my dreadful year involving Sheffield Wargames Society and the opinion of one member that I was the most destructive thing to happen to them in 40 years (quite an achievement when compared to other things I could think of). Metaphorically, my WRG rules have been torn asunder and my average dice ground to dust. Champagne corks have popped across the city and cheers raised as the Great Satan of the gaming table has been cast down. Oh the feel of power as they calculated  the die modifiers for that one...

Not surprisingly, I lost my drive for the historical guff and in fact for most of the hobby as a whole. So I am very surprised that I have re-found my love of the older fantasy games again and a new passion for the modern board games.

The other week I picked up a job lot of old Dwarves from the 80s and as the price was £1.07 per piece I reckoned that I could cherry pick a few bits that were especially significant to me and turn the rest back to the market to cover the costs. Well, I did this.

This done, I decided I am going to reinvest in an army of Chaos Dwarves from the Ewal Dvergar 'private production' range of models which have all the styling and charm of a late 80s Citadel model - and which match very nicely - with multi-part posing. I have hunted down a few of the old Citadel artillery pieces and I have a quite nice 200 piece army on the cards for the New Year.

I have just two days of work before I close down my studio until Jan 5th 2015, and the time between then and the 23rd will be spent painting a Malifaux crew for my own use, thanks to the kind xmas gift of one of my clients who gave me a paid week off as his xmas gift to me. And very pleased I am...

The luxury of having a week to paint at my own pace and to my show standard will be simply blissful.

I have a few sets of paints and inks purchased just for this week and I am really excited about re-visiting some materials I have not used since the 80s.

Roleplaying is coming more and more to the fore and I am informed by an associate of mine who works at the toy distribution centre at the North Pole, that Santa has me pegged for a copy of the superb 'Mice & Mystics' board game this year, because I have apparently met the criteria to be classed as 'nice' rather than 'naughty' - which would have meant I would have received a set of WRG 6th ed Ancients rules instead. *shudder*'

Well my cup of hot chocolate is almost emptied and so I will sign off for the time being...

Merry Xmas!





Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...