The Joy Of Six


Let me begin with an apology.

I apologise for the lack of posts of late, but as you may recall, we'd  undertaken to have the DarkTower re-worked. Alas, what was to be a straightforward renovation of bathroom and kitchen has now become all of that plus the knock through of the dining room, plastering of three locations, replacement of a floor and three ceilings.

Three weeks in, and we are living in only two of the 8 rooms here at the Tower. I am working in some of the most cramped conditions I have had to endure in twenty years.

But, it's given me a lot of time to think of things game related. I've come to one big decision and that is to move over to 6mm for all but my 40K, Cape Wars and Warhammer Fantasy projects.

It all began when, lost in reveries of my misspent (or is that well spent?) youth, I was wont to remember the Triples that irregular Miniatures released it's 6mm range. We were al pretty hooked in our group of Young Olympians, with the exception of your correspondent who, at the eleventh hour when the rest of the gang had cleared out pretty much the entire show stock, decided he would be less of a martinet and join the club. Alas, Irregular had sold out on the Sunday afternoon but one of my mates took pity and sold me a Frankish army pack, which was frankly uninspiring when compared to the other armies Roger, Simon and the rest of the crew were jealously guarding.

But, the scale snob in me, never really went away, and despite the fact that I arguably paint some of the nicest commercially available 6mm you will ever see, I have stubbornly hung on to the notion of larger scales.

Well, that is right out of the window. I have painted so much 6mm that I have begun to once again see the sheer beauty in this scale. Last weekend, I was taking lunch with my gaming buddy, and he was berating me with a series of 'What did I tell you all those years ago?' comments. But, he was correct.

And so with the Joy Of Six show here in my home city on the 16th of July, I have set u a fighting fund to cover the cost of around 5000 (probably more) models.



As the blurb states (and it's all 100% true!):


'The venue for the show is the Heartspace at Sheffield Hallam University. This is a large stylish atrium which will give a light and airy atmosphere to the event.
The venue also has brilliant easily accessible on-site catering, and the menu will be tailored to wargamers at reasonable prices.
The opening times are 10am-4pm and the entrance fee is £3


I'm certainly starting with 6mm sci-fi, fantasy, 18th century and renaissance. Beyond that I have some other ideas, but the world as they say, is my mussel.

I've been reading Craig Armstrong's superb little rule set 'Lord & Lands' which are streamlined yet have a lot of tactical opportunities and multi-genre flexibility.  Indeed I am looking at the possibility of modifying them for 20th century urban unrest.

If you can get to Sheffield on the 16th, I'd really, really suggest you visit the show. You will be blown away by the quality and scope of the games on display, and what;'s more there are great bacon and sausage sandwiches, decent coffee, and if you want a bloody good lunch, the Red Lion on Matilda Street, a couple of minutes easy walk from the venue, offers a truly outstanding Sunday lunch.

Even if the idea of 6mm does not appeal, give the show a visit, because I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what the scale has to offer the gamer.


TTFN


Comments

  1. I wish I lived closer - I'd love to collect some ancients in formations that better represent the scale of the fighting. Five thousand you say? I like the sound of that...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave your praise and vitriolic commentary here...

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...